Monday, August 11, 2014

Quotes

Today is a very tragic day.

Robin Williams was found dead of an apparent suicide, and I am completely heartbroken. Here is what I posted on Facebook earlier:
I mean, I'm just absolutely floored. I keep hoping that it is some elaborate prank. I would have NEVER guessed Robin Williams - the GREAT Robin Williams - would have not only suffered from depression, but to the point of actually exterminating his brilliant and unique life.
I could cope with it being an accident, a murder, a heart attack; but not suicide. I can't help but feel we have really lost one of the greats here. I mean, just wow.
We've had record-breaking flooding here in and around Detroit, to the point that I probably won't be able to get to work tomorrow (thankfully I can work from home when necessary). Here is a picture of the expressway only 2 miles from my residence:


And another from near downtown Detroit:


I have a full day of training on Wednesday, on a product I don't even use (though, in theory, I will be using at some indeterminate date in the future). And I have a big project due next week, the shoulders on which my future career partly rests.

This is all too much. To be honest, I don't have the energy to write a proper post today. So instead, I will grace you with a few quotes I have been saving for such a rainy day as this.

Share, and enjoy.
I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours. (Stephen F. Roberts)
Is he willing to prevent evil but not able? Then he is impotent. Is he able but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Whence then is evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him god? (Epicurus)
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence (Christopher Hitchens)
Until next Monday,
Frank

No comments:

Post a Comment