Monday, September 8, 2014

Patriot Games

First, this: making this post was a very difficult decision. The topic strays somewhat away from my usual anti-religious rhetoric and into the arena of politics. The subject matter is still, over a decade later, a painful spot; so I apologize in advance if I cause offense -- this is not my goal. My goal is to take offense this time.

This Thursday is the thirteenth anniversary of the September 11th terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center, Pentagon, and Flight 93. "Patriot Day," as it is now officially called, was designated as a national day of remembrance in December of 2001. It was signed into law by George W. Bush, who also signed into law the Patriot Act earlier that fall. Sheesh, what was with this guy and the word "patriot"?

While I do agree that it was a most horrific example of what humanity is capable of doing to itself, I hold the opinion that calling it "Patriot Day" is a misnomer and a disservice to our country.

For the majority of the last thirteen years, I have asked many why the government chose the term "patriot" -- and no one has yet given a reasonable answer. Usually I just receive a shrug and an "I don't know." So what, exactly, is a patriot? And who, exactly, were the patriots the day was named for?

According to Merriam-Webster, a patriot is "a person who loves and strongly supports or fights for his or her country."

In the great dance of events that occurred on September 11th, there were only five "categories" of people. In descending order of active involvement they are:
  1. The bystanders (you and me and the families of the victims)
  2. The victims
  3. Those who tried to retake Flight 93
  4. The government and rescue workers
  5. The terrorists
So which of these categories fit the definition of a patriot?

It could not be the bystanders, as they were powerless to do anything. The victims were everyday citizens who just showed up to work or boarded the flights. The valiant passengers and crew of Flight 93 were fighting for their lives, not their country. And the government and rescue workers were probably more concerned with responding to the unforeseen and horrific tragedy (and the cost of life and property) than being patriotic.

That leaves just one category: the terrorists. 

The true patriots of Patriot Day are those who, by instruction of a call to martyrdom, entered our country. They are those who took flying lessons, who snuck weapons on board at least three flights and hijacked them. And who, I am sure, shouted praises to their god as they murdered thousands.

Is it blasphemy that I should equate the actions of those terrorists with patriotism? I do not think so. I am certain that they considered themselves patriots of their extremist ideals.
"Terrorism against America deserves to be praised because it was a response to injustice, aimed at forcing America to stop its support for Israel, which kills our people... We say that the end of the United States is imminent, whether Bin Laden or his followers are alive or dead, for the awakening of the Muslim umma (nation) has occurred." Osama Bin Laden, 12/27/2001
It is apparent that they were actively instigating war against us as a response to our support of Israel. Bin Laden equates his movement with a nation. Certainly the ideal with regards to these extremists is to destroy and conquer. And the hate continues even to this day: the successor to Al Qaeda, ISIS, dominates today’s news with its terrorist tactics.

(PS: I am not so naive to think that America has not brought some of this punishment upon itself.)

In my mind it does disservice to the citizens of this country and to its armed forces, to continue to call September 11th "Patriot Day," because we are giving credence to what those extremists did by way of justification through their religion. I am sure, America, that our Lord and Savior Jesus (and his mother, for you Catholics) is crying over our country unwittingly giving props to a terrorist god. 

It's just another reason why religion causes more harm than good, if you ask me. Well, you didn't but you know I'm going to give you my opinion anyways. Think I'm being harsh about this? Just wait until Columbus Day...

Until next Monday,
Frank

No comments:

Post a Comment