Monday, April 21, 2014

Questions

I've always had questions about my religion. There were so many things, especially from my youth, that I just could not understand. I would ask questions and sometimes I would get one answer from one person and a different answer from someone else. Often I would be told, "That's the way it is." Further questioning would inevitably result in the cliché, "God's ways are higher than ours."

As I got older and starting thinking more "outside the bible," the questions became more intricate and complex. But, like most Christians with such dichotomies, I would just shove them to the back, think to myself "God's ways are higher than ours," and expect that everything would work out according to some grand plan. Somehow. Some way. And then one day, things changed...

As I near middle-age, I have found that my desire to read has increased ten-fold. Last year I read an astounding 14 new books, all non-fiction. It is only the fourth month of this year, and I just finished book number 6. But it is specifically book number 3 that I want to mention: "50 Popular Beliefs That People Think Are True" by Guy P. Harrison.

The book is certainly a fascinating foray into strange things that people believe. Guy does his best to inject a healthy level of skepticism into each item, teaching the reader how to use reason and logic. As the chapters on religious belief (and specifically Christian belief) drew closer, I began to struggle over whether I should skip them. But something happened: I reasoned to myself that I have always proclaimed my faith in Christ to be unshakable and if it could not stand up to a little scrutiny then I was just fooling myself. So I read on.

And like a house of cards on a windy day, my religious belief system came toppling down. Although the book caused me to question so many things that church and parochial school taught me, the following items were the ultimate catalyst for the beginning of my deconversion:
  1. There have been millions of gods throughout human history, and none have produced any verifiable, corporeal, scientific evidence to justify belief in them. It is therefore virtually impossible to actually claim that belief in any one or more of them is THE TRUTH.
  2. Any "evidence" (i.e., answered prayers, serendipitous timing, etc.) that has been presented by any particular religion as proof positive that they are THE TRUTH also shows up in other, conflicting religions. This means that such "evidence" cannot be used to single out one religion above any other.
  3. The overwhelming majority of religious adherents do not choose their belief system - they are born into it. Therefore, claiming one belief system to be THE TRUTH means potentially condemning billions simply because they were born into a different culture.
  4. There are thousands of denominations of Christianity, all claiming to have THE TRUTH. Every single denomination is doctrinally at odds with other denominations, often to the point of condemnation. And so, it is completely impossible for an adherent to know which denomination(s) will send him to heaven and which to hell (supposing, of course, that the adherent follows a denomination that believes in both heaven and hell, as there are many which do not).
I want to make a special note on that fourth point: Many may look at this statement and think it to be invalid - almost all Christians assume that, to be a Christian, one must follow some core tenants of Christianity which are common (such as Christ's atoning death and resurrection). I want to assure you that the only commonality between the Christians of the world is that they call themselves "Christian." Everything else is up for grabs, from gnosis to virgin birth - this is exactly why there are thousands of differing denominations. It is disgustingly amazing how much of the Christian community en masse not only disagrees with itself but actually has the audacity to pronounce anathema and eternal torment on each other.

Nevertheless, those four simple concepts caused me to reevaluate everything I believed. They should cause EVERY Christian to do the same. If Christians can't answer to those points, then they have no ground on which to stand when someone asks "Why should I become one?" - or in my case, "Why should I continue?"

Until next Monday,
Frank

No comments:

Post a Comment